Saturday, February 08, 2014

Our Thai Prison Experience

We had no set plans today - it was a day to simply wander around Chiang Mai and explore the sights and sounds. If any of you have ever been to this city, you will understand that this inevitably means temple hopping.


The first was Wat Phra Sing, probably the most visited temple in this ancient city. We're not ones to linger too long at sights such as these, but we want the kids to get some exposure to different places of worship during our trip, as we'll be covering off quite a few religions.


Modesty is required in Buddhist temples, and we remembered to pack extra pants and sarongs to cover up. 


Although this is a serious moment with Annie offering a donation, I couldn't help thinking of Chucky from Child's Play


Many young Thai boys will become monks for a short period of time in their lives - often they will not continue the monastic way of life due to financial obligations to their families, or as a result of the increasing secularization of society and education in Thailand. 


Monkhood may not be necessary for this little guy - I think he is already knows his stuff. 

And among other important lessons, the monks' spiritual study allows them to learn plenty of Buddha's famous quotations...


Dang! Nobody told me it was either/or.


This is one of the more ancient sites in the city, Wat Chedi Luang, from about the 13th century.


But interesting how nature can still tower over these amazing structures.


I think I get the gist of it - I suspect this might have been prepared using Google translate.


This temple was our favourite - and surprisingly not one of the more visited sites in Chiang Mai. It is unique insofar as it's covered entirely in silver.


The temple itself contains amazing silver carvings (not sure if 'carving' is the correct term).


"There are only two mistakes one can make along the road to truth; not going all the way, and not starting" - Buddha

...the third is putting flashing neon lights in 500 year old Buddhist temples.


Forget emptying my mind, it’s my tummy I’m worried about - the green curry chicken ain’t sitting well - I need to ‘enlighten’ myself a bit.  Ah, just go down that path sir...



Perfect. When I'm ready to 'let myself go' and become fat and ugly, please remember that I too shall be doing it for your benefit. I wish to cause no trouble.

Hours of touring the temples of Chiang Mai can be hard on the feet - so naturally we need some relief....


That's right - we're getting pummeled by chicks in prison. I went for the one hour foot massage, while Shirley had the one hour traditional full body massage.


But seriously, the Chiang Mai Women's Prison Massage Center offers fantastic full body and foot massages performed by inmates at the women's prison as part of their rehabilitation training program. Despite their incarceration, the ladies aren't career criminals but eager to turn their lives around with the job skills they've developed behind bars; those working in the massage centre are due for release within six months. The money earned from these treatments goes directly to the prisoners for use after their release.


I remember departing on my backpacking trip in 1993 and being warned by my mom to "not end up inside of a Thai prison". Sorry ma, but it's for a good cause.

Look at this handsome white guy you get to work on!! It's almost like getting an early release for good behavior. 


Working under the watchful eye of the prison guard (on the left). This was a great way to get a traditional Thai massage and feel like I was helping out a bit. I wonder what my masseuse was in the joint for?


"Look Pranee, when I poke him here his ear twitches!!"

Not exactly my 'prison girls fantasy', but we finished refreshed and relaxed and hopefully with a bit of karma on our side. 

We're off to the quiet countryside around the hills of Soppong tomorrow, and until then, I'll leave you with a few shots of the various means of transportation in Chiang Mai...


Songthaew


Scooter


???????


Tuk Tuk

2 comments:

  1. What a cool experience--I never would have thought to get massages from prisoners. Kinda brilliant, though… Thanks for the interesting and informative blogs! (And also for the good grammar. I appreciate that.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great blogging you guys! We are loving living vicariously through your trip!! Keep the excitement rolling! Shirley, I'm looking forward to some new Thai cooking innovations when you return! xoxo

    ReplyDelete

We would like to hear from you so feel free to comment or ask questions. Just remember this is a simple family travel blog - please keep things relevant and appropriate. Thanks.